A monographic exhibition focused on the history of Santa Pola, with 4 main topics: Prehistory, the Iberians, the Roman Port and the Nature Reserve os "Las Salinas".
This acuarium the oldest in the Region of Valencia includes 9 large glass tanks containing flora and fauna from the Mediterranean Sea. The Fishermen of Santa Pola have donated most of the species shown there.
Its activity goes back to 4th century BC, although at that time its location was not the same as it is now. It has witnessed many important historical events, such as its extension during the reign of Emperor Augustus, the departure of converted Moors from the "Arrabal" of Elche after they were forced to leave in 1609 and the visit of King Alfonso XII and the Royal Squadron in 1877. Nowadays is is one of the most important Spanish ports in the Mediterranean Sea. Fishing is the main activity bus also salt trade and pleasure boat building. Do not forget to visit our fishing port where you can observe the daily fish auction at the Fish Market from monday to friday from 4:30 pm.
Located at the far eastern end of the Cape of Santa Pola upon an old watchtower (16th century) called "Atalayola" and by a clif o 144 meters above sea level. It was built in 1858 to guide ships that sailed near the coast during the night and especially ships of the Navy which used to anchor in the bay of Santa Pola at that time.
Plaza del Calvario
A fihshermen's quarter located in one of the highest areas of Santa Pola. We recommended you to visit the Chapel ( Ermita ) buitl at the beginning of the 20th century designed on Moorish architecture. Families who were living in the Castle moved to this part of the town from 1967 onwards.
The Salt Museum
In this museum located in a former salt factory in Santa Pola Salt Flat Nature Reserve you'll discover the etandard processes of salt extraction, its use, characteristics, consumption and the importance of salt in Man's History and its exploitation, past and present. The Museum has also a lookout for bird watching and offers you the chance to make guided visit to the Salt Flats Nature Reserve. Closed on Mondays Pone 966 693 546.
It was buitl in 1935 upon a chuch site ( 19th century ) which was destroyed by an earthquake. This church was originally designed be a "Templo Academicista".
Built in 1552 as a defensive system, they were strategically placed to warn the population as soon as the enemy was in sight. The towers used to communicate with each other by means of smoke signals during the day and lights at night. The towers are the "Tamarit " watchtower in the Salt Flats Nature Reserve (Las Salinas ), "Escaletes" in the mountains and "Atalayola" the present lighthouse.
The Mill of "La Calera"
A windmill built in 1771 to supply the population with ground grain. In its sorroundings can be found a limekiln where it gets its name from. The Limekiln was used for the production of lime in the traditional way.
It has been a witness to the most important historic events that have taken place in Santa Pola throughout the centuries such as the expulsion of the moriscos in 1609 or the visit of the King Alfonso XII in order to grant the category or Town. For centuries it has been the centre of the political and military life and nowadays it is one of the favourite meeting points of the locals.
Roman Villa "El Palmeral"
This luxurious Roman Villa was built in the 4th century AD. Polycrome mosaics of geometric style still survive. This stately home belonged to a rich family who carried on bussines activities at the Portus Illicitanus.
Virgin of Loreto Chapel
This chapel, where we can find the Patron Saint of Santa Pola, is situated in the King's Bastion and it is a religious secular space from the origins of the Fortress as well as a place of touristic interest.
Portus Illicitanus Archeological Remains
Traces of a bussines area belonging to the Roman City can be found in the remains of the ancient Port of the City of Illice, such as some walls of houses, a littel courtyard with a well in the middle (1st to 4th century AD) and some stores. The most important discovery is an archaeological Iberian deposit from 4th century BC, where a lot of Iberian and Greek ceramics have been found. Also in this area and on top of the Iberian bed, a Roman factory of salted fish was discovered from 4th century AD, with several rooms for the different activities: cutting, cleaning, storing and where the famous "garum" sauce was elaborated to preserve fish.
The tree Massapá cisterns are tanks which function is to keep, thanks to a mains system, drinking water from the rain. These cisterns were built in the 18th century for Santa Pola's water supply. Given the increase of the local population, mainly caused by the riches from the salt and fishing industries, the creation of water supply points was necesary; this was made by means of underground tanks for the collection and storage of rainwater from the rocky slopes of the mountain. Then, this water was sold along the streets in large earthenware jars carried on carts. In the Modern Age, with the expansion of cereal dry farming favoured by the new inhabitants and the subsequent population explosion that forced the colonization of wastelands far from any water source, cisterns spread out through all the territory. During the first half of the 20th century, all cisterns were working, but after the war, high emigration rates provoked the abandonment of agricultural production and the disappearance of traditional hydraulic cultivation.